A week into 2012, I think I am ready to commit to my crafting goals for 2012. I always enjoy hearing other people’s goals before I make my own, so these are very inspired. And it is time to pick a new word of the year! Last year the word was “relax.” That worked well until December when I had a lot of gift knitting to do. This year the word is going to be “mindful.” I really want to be mindful during my crafting and enjoy the process. Besides gift knitting, what is the rush, really? And yet I always seem to get too deadline oriented with things that are supposed to be fun. So I will be “mindful” when I am crafting in 2012.
My goals for 2012 are relatively short because it will be a very busy year professionally. I will be writing my dissertation and getting ready to go on the job market. So I am going to relax on the goals for 2012.
List of 2012 Crafting Goals:
- Knit a lace weight sweater for myself without being concerned about the deadline.
- I have enough yarn for two lace weight sweaters and one fingering weight sweater. It is about time I start one of these! For you non-knitters, this is a big goal because I will be knitting something big on tiny needles with thin yarn. But I am really excited about it and will enjoy the process as I go along. Now we will have to see when I actually cast it on.
- Become consistent with my spinning.
- I learned how to spin on my spinning wheel in 2011, so now it is time to actually become good at it. I want to be able to knit with the yarn I spin in 2012. I already have lots of fiber to practice with, which relates to the next goal.
- Keep track of my fabric and yarn this year with the obvious goal of using more than buying.
- Last year I kept track of my fabric and that really worked out well. This year I want to keep track of my yarn as well. I will try to do weekly check ins with the yarn since I knit much more than I sew. But I am already on a “yarn and fiber diet” until Camp KIP, so hopefully I will be able to stick to knitting more than I buy.
- Enjoy my gift crafting!
- This may seem like an obvious goal, but strangely I like to stress myself out about projects for other people. Especially where a deadline is concerned. So this year, with one upcoming wedding and one baby on the way among my friends, I am going to not get stressed out, but enjoy the crafting. I am looking forward to knitting for a new baby and testing out some new techniques. And I will not be crafting furiously the night before the wedding – I refuse! Either it is getting done early or on time.
- Grow something new (successfully) in the garden.
- Last year was my first attempt at a vegetable garden and I really enjoyed the process. There were some issues with slugs. And starting things from seed is difficult. But I am looking forward to a new year of gardening. And I would like to try something new this year. Not sure what yet!
I think that will be plenty for 2012! Looking forward to another great year!